2014 Spirit of Sandra Scholars
The recipients of this year’s Spirit of Sandra Scholarships are: Veronica Smith (PEI), Katherine Doerksen (MB), Jestyn Murphy (ON), Renelle Humphreys (SK), Corryn Brown (BC) and Kristen Streifel (SK). They are an impressive group of young competitive curlers with outstanding achievements in academics, sports and community involvement. Each of the Scholars has committed to organizing a fundraiser in their local community to build awareness and raise money to support the mission of the Sandra Schmirler Foundation: to donate to hospital Newborn Intense Care Units (NICUs) across Canada for the purchase of life-saving equipment for babies born too soon, too small or too sick.
The monies they raise will be matched by the Sandra Schmirler Foundation and the Scholars will decide as a group where they would like to make their donation and what life-saving piece of equipment they would like to help purchase.
In August, they joined Sandra Schmirler Foundation Champions Cathy Overton-Clapham and Jon Mead for a two-day camp in Edmonton to kick off their curling seasons. The camp included on-ice practice and intense dry land training sessions plus a visit from Olympic gold medalist, Mark Kennedy. The scholars and champions toured the Newborn Intensive Care Unit at the Stollery Hospital, coming away with a greater understanding of the importance of the work of the Foundation.
“I had such a great time meeting all of the Scholars and connecting with Jon and Cathy. We are all very fortunate to be part of this Foundation and I look forward to another exciting year of raising awareness for the Sandra Schmilrer Foundation in our respective communities. Many friendships were made in those couple of days at camp. I hope we reconnect throughout the curling season or better yet, at nationals!”
– KristenStreifel, two-time Scholar,from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Spirit of Sandra Scholarships
The Spirit of Sandra Junior Curling Scholarship is intended for young athletes who participate in curling in their graduating year from high school or while pursuing a post-secondary education on a full-time basis. The Scholarships will be awarded to graduating high school students entering a post-secondary institution and to students in their first or second year in a post-secondary institution. Recipients must be 20 years of age or under as of December 31, 2014. The aim is to give talented junior curlers the opportunity of combining their competitive curling pursuits with a year of academic study (i.e. September through April) in a Canadian University/College setting.
In recognition of Sandra Schmirler, the three-time Canadian and World Curling Champion and first gold medalist for curling in the Olympics, scholarships will be awarded in the “Spirit of Sandra” and in the name of the Sandra Schmirler Foundation.
Number of Scholarships Six (6) scholarships will be awarded.
Monetary Value of a Scholarship: Each scholarship will have a value of $5,000.
The successful applicants will be reimbursed for $2,500 in both education and curling categories for a total of $5,000. All expenses must be submitted with receipts and received no later than April 30, 2015.
Criteria for Awarding Scholarship:
- Emphasis will be placed on athletes who have competed at the provincial/territorial level or higher, who have maintained a high level of academic standing, while showing a commitment to curling through their involvement in coaching, officiating and/or volunteer activities.
- Preference will be given to athletes attending, or planning to attend university, college or a CEGEP while continuing to compete at a high performance level in curling.
- Academic background – minimum grade average of 80% or equivalent grade point average (GPA).
- Must be 20 years of age or under as of December 31, 2014, a Grade 12 student entering first year of post-secondary studies or a post-secondary student entering his/her second or third year of studies.
- Applicant must be a Canadian citizen.
- Must be enrolled full-time for at least one semester (Fall/Winter/Summer).
- The awardee will agree to organize a fundraising event for the Sandra Schmirler Foundation in the 12 months following receiving the Award.
- Awardees shall agree to the “Code of Conduct” of the scholarship and sign the “Letter of Agreement“.
A Spirit of Sandra Junior Scholarship has a total value of $5,000 with $2,500 available for education expenses and $2,500 available for curling related expenses. Qualified education expenses include tuition and fees required to enroll at or attend an eligible educational institution and course-related expenses such as fees, parking, books, supplies, and equipment that are required for the courses at the high school, college or university. Expenses that don’t qualify include room and board, research, clerical assistance, or equipment and other expenses that are not required for enrollment in or attendance at the educational institution. Qualified curling expenses include entry fees to sanctioned curling competitions and curling-related expenses such as travel, medical (chiropractor, massage therapist, physiotherapist, sport psychologist), equipment/uniform, training and skills development (fitness membership). Expenses that don’t qualify include meals and over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements, even if prescribed by a medical practitioner. Download Eligible Expenses
How to Apply for a Scholarship:
- Complete the application form.
- Submit a video (3-5 minutes) outlining why you feel you are a qualified candidate for this Scholarship. Tips for creating your video are included in the application form.
- Submit a copy of your high school or university transcripts.
- Submit two letters of recommendation.
Application deadline for 2014 is midnight (Eastern Time) June 1, 2015. Successful applicants will be notified no later than June 3, 2015. If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Spirit of Sandra Junior Curling Scholarship Application can be filled out online. Once completed, you will need to print a copy in order to sign it. You can then scan it and email your completed application with your signed letter of agreement, grades/transcript, two letters of recommendation, letter of acceptance (if applicable) and YouTube video link (URL). Alternatively, you can mail the documents and video link to:
Spirit of Sandra Junior Scholarship
Sandra Schmirler Foundation
18 Burndale Road
Attention: Brenda Gallagher