Spirit of Sandra Canadian Junior Curling Scholarships
These $5,000 Canadian Junior Curling Scholarships are funded entirely through Crowd Sweeps™ at curling events or other events.
No tax receipted donor dollars are used to fund Spirit of Sandra Scholarships. In addition to the financial support, provided by these curling scholarships, the successful applicants are mentored by world championship curlers, Jon Mead and Cathy Overton-Clapham, who volunteer their time to help these young curlers realize their own dreams.
“The best part of being a Spirit of Sandra Scholar is the opportunities you receive; hosting your own fundraiser, being mentored by Cathy and Jon, meeting new people, and helping the Sandra Schmirler Foundation achieve its mission and aspirations. The close-knit friendships I’ve made with the other scholars have been amazing. And, being able to help continue Sandra’s legacy has been an absolute honour.”
– Kyle Barron, Sandra Schmirler Foundation Scholar
Spirit of Sandra Scholarships
The Spirit of Sandra Junior Curling Scholarship is intended for young athletes who participate in curling while pursuing post-secondary education while taking a minimum of 3 courses. Recipients must be 20 years of age or under as of June 30, 2017 and therefore eligible to compete as a junior curler. The aim is to give talented junior curlers the opportunity to successfully combine their competitive curling pursuits with their academic studies (i.e. September through April) in a Canadian University or College setting.
In recognition of Sandra Schmirler, the three-time Canadian and World Curling Champion and first gold medalist for curling in the Olympics, junior curling scholarships will be awarded in the “Spirit of Sandra” and in the name of the Sandra Schmirler Foundation.
Number of Curling Scholarships: Six (6) scholarships will be awarded.
Monetary Value of a Curling Scholarship: Each scholarship will have a value of $5,000.
The successful applicants will be reimbursed for $2,500 in both education and curling categories for a total of $5,000. All expenses must be submitted with receipts and received no later than April 30, 2018.
Criteria for Awarding Junior Curling Scholarship:
- Emphasis will be placed on athletes who have competed at the provincial/territorial level or higher, who have shown a commitment through their involvement in volunteer activities.
- Applicants must be attending, or planning to attend university, college or a CEGEP.
- Academic background – minimum grade average of 75% or equivalent grade point average (GPA).
- Must be 20 years of age or under as of June 30, 2017, a Grade 12 student entering first year of post-secondary studies or a post-secondary student entering his/her second or third year of studies.
- Applicant must be a Canadian citizen.
- Must be enrolled with a 3 course load for at least one semester (Fall/Winter/Summer).
- The awardee will agree to organize a fundraising event for the Sandra Schmirler Foundation in the 12 months following receiving the Award.
- Awardees shall agree to the “Code of Conduct” of the scholarship and sign the “Letter of Agreement“.
A Spirit of Sandra Junior Scholarship has a total value of $5,000 with $2,500 available for education expenses and $2,500 available for curling related expenses. Qualified education expenses and curling expenses are outlined in the Eligible Expenses document. Eligible Expenses
How to Apply for a Curling Scholarship:
- Be sure to save the application form to your computer, complete the form and then “save as” a new file with your initials.
- Submit a YouTube video (3-5 minutes) outlining why you feel you are a qualified candidate for this Scholarship. Helpful tips for creating your video are included in the application form.
- Submit a copy of your high school or university transcripts.
- Submit two letters of recommendation.
- Submit Head & Shoulders photo yourself in JPG format.
Application deadline for 2017 is midnight (Eastern Time) May 12, 2017. Successful applicants will be notified no later than June 15, 2017. If you have any questions please email email@example.com.
The Spirit of Sandra Junior Curling Scholarship Application is a fillable PDF form. Once completed, you will need to “save as” a new file with your initials. Please create one PDF document that includes your completed application, your signed letter of agreement, grades/transcript, two letters of recommendation, letter of acceptance (if applicable) and email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the YouTube video link included in the body of the email.