The Sandra Schmirler Foundation encourages the athletic and academic careers of promising Canadian curlers by offering annual scholarships. Beginning in 2013, the Sandra Schmirler Foundation has awarded $5,000 scholarships to six junior curlers annually. The scholarship funds education and curling expenses equally.
Each Spirit of Sandra Scholar organizes a fundraising event to ensure that Sandra’s Legacy Lives On. The scholars are provided with the opportunity to select one hospital foundation to receive a grant to purchase life-saving equipment for their Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
Application Deadline: May 6, 2021 midnight ET Successful applicants will be notified no later than June 11, 2021.
The applicant must:
• be a Canadian citizen.
• be studying at the post-secondary level in the 2021-2022 academic year and be enrolled in 6 courses during the academic year.
• have a minimum academic average of 75% or the equivalent GPA.
• be 20 years of age or under as of June 30, 2021.
• be committed to curling at the junior level during the 2021-2022 curling season.
How to apply for the Spirit of Sandra Scholarship
1. complete the application form and upload the required files
2. create an unlisted YouTube video and upload the link
It’s very important that you invest the time and energy necessary to create a memorable, creative 5-minute (max.) video. Your video counts for 50% of your points.
In your video, tell us more about you and why you should be chosen to receive a Spirit of Sandra Scholarship.
Your video will be graded in 3 specific areas:
• Content (10 points) is the information you provide in your video. Ask yourself if it’s relevant, informative, meaningful and engaging.
• Quality (10 points) is how you deliver your message. Are you clear, consistent and concise?
• Style (10 points) is how you express yourself and reveal your own personality.
Here are some things to consider when creating your video:
• Write a script and practice it. Watch footage of yourself and identify areas where you can improve.
• Be aware of your surrounding (cleanliness, shadows, distractions, etc.).
• Audio quality – background noise distracts from what you are saying.
• Make sure you use a tripod or place your camera on a solid surface to avoid shaky footage.
• Work on your camera presence. Stand straight; keep you shoulders back, and muscles relaxed. Take a few deep breaths and don’t cross your arms. Smile…especially at the start of your video!
• Choose a good video-editing program.
UPLOADING YOUR VIDEO TO YOUTUBE
To get started uploading your video on YouTube, follow the steps outlined here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57924?hl=en
Please Set Your Video to “Unlisted”
We want to ensure that your video is only viewable by the selection committee. Only those with the direct URL can watch the video. It won’t show up on your YouTube channel or anywhere else on the site.
To set your videos to unlisted, follow these easy steps:
• Visit your Video Manager
• Find the video you’d like to set to private and click the Edit button
• In the “Privacy Settings” drop-down menu, select Unlisted
• Click Save Changes
Thank you for connecting with us. We will respond to you shortly.